CV, shortAnu Osva is a Finnish artist with scientific background in animal breeding (i.e. genetics, quantitative genetics and mathematics). She worked ten years as a researcher in this field, but chose to pursue an artistic career in 1990. In 1999 she began to combine scientific thinking and observations into her artistic work. She lives and works in Helsinki, Finland, http://anuosva.wordpress.com/ x
1997/98 University of Art and Design, Helsinki, pedagogical studies for artists; 1985-87 Turku School of Fine Arts; 1984 Licentiate in Science (Lower doctoral degree, Animal Breeding/ Agriculture and Forestry), University of Helsinki; 1979 Master of Science in Agriculture and Forestry, University of Helsinki, Major: Animal Breeding; 1972/73
University of Helsini, Finnish Literature and Theoretical Philosophy
- 2009, 2010 Water Flea Circus Merja Talvela, Anu Osva, Sini Haapalinna and Kristiina Ljokkoi. http://waterfleacircus.wordpress.com/
- 2009: 80+1 Kilpisjärvi Climate Change, Development & Project team. 80+1 Kilpisjärvi Climate Change was part of an international collaborative project 80+1 A Journey Around the World, which scanned the critical questions of the future of humankind. http://www.kilpiscope.net/
- 2009: Midnight Sun (2009) Erich Berger, Anu Osva, Laura Beloff, Live streaming of midnight sun from Kilpisjärvi onto the mediafacade of Ars Electronica building. http://www.kilpiscope.net/
- 2009: Climatescope, Laura Beloff, Anu Osva, Eric Berger. The Climatescope-project concept received an honorary mention in The Next Idea-category of the Ars Electronica Prix 2009 http://climatescope.net/
- 2005-2009: Yakutian Cattle, interdisciplinary project between Helsinki University and Agrifood Research Finland. Field research in Yakutia, Siberia, exhibitions, documentation, presentations, publications. http://anuosva.wordpress.com/
- Roma, Residencies 2001 (3 months) and 2007 (6 months) in Villa Lante, Institutum Romanum Finlandiae, Rome, Italy
- 2008 Artists and researchers cooperation at the Kilpisjärvi Biological Station (Helsinki University) under umbrella of Ars Bioarctica / Finnish Bioart Society.
2007 Yakutian Cattle – Exploring expedition to Siberia in the 2000’s, Gallery Katariina, Helsinki, 2006 Gallery Tove, Hanasaari Cultural Centre, Espoo, FI, 2003 Life Code, Finnish Cultural Institute for Benelux, Antwerp, Belgium, 2003 Life Code, Wäinö Aaltonen Museum of Art, Studio, Turku, FI, 2001 2000 tm-gallery, Helsinki, FI 1997
Gallery Pirkko-Liisa Topelius, Helsinki, Fi, 1997 In the Midst of Time, Joensuu Art Museum, FI, 1996 3 Rooms, Titanik, Turku, FI, 1993 Available also in Brussian Blue, Gallery Katariina, Helsinki, FI
2010 Getting Warmer – Climate Change in Art, Joensuu Art Museum, FI, 2009 Traces, Nacka Konsthalle Stockholm, Sweden, 2007 Traces, Rovinj Heritage Museum, Rovinj, Croatia, 2006 Desire to See, The Nordic House, Reykjavik, Iceland, 2005 Relation-Vibration, Oceanhuset, Not Quite, Fengersfors, Sweden, 2001 Mänttä Art Festival, Mänttä, FI, 1997 Helsinki Artists’ Association 30 years, Konstnärshuset, Stockholm, Sweden, 1995 Mänttä Art Festival, Mänttä, FI, 1994 Finnish Artists 99th Annual Exhibition, Kunsthalle Helsinki, FI
Presentations, papers and publication
- 2010 Anu Osva, Yakutian Cow in North-East Siberia and her Western Relatives – An artistic investigation on symbiotic relationship between domesticated cattle and humans. Art and Technoscience – conference, Academy of Fine Arts in Finland, in collaboration with the Finnish Bioart Society and Pixelache festival. Helsinki 2010.
- 2010 Anu Osva, The symbiotic human animal relationship: An artistic investigation of Yakutian cattle. Article in ’Good to Eat, Good to Live with’, Animals and Nomads in Northern Eurasia and Africa. Northeast Asian Study Series X
- 2009 Anu Osva, Epilogue, documentary images (20) and cowriter in 3 artciles, in the book Sakha Ynaga – Cattle of the Yakuts, (Granberg, Leo, Juha Kantanen and Katriina Soini, eds.) Finnish Academy of Science and Letters. Annales Academiae Scientiarum Fennicae, Humaniora 355. Helsinki 2009.
- 2008 Leo Granberg, Anu Osva:, Russian transion in the eyes of Yakutian Cattle – Art and Science perspective, Presentation in the Conference: In Transition Russia. Neme, Ekaterinburg State University, Russia.